(I’ve included affiliate links for your convenience. I earn a small percentage from a purchase using these links. There is no additional cost to you, and I appreciate any support. You can read more about affiliate links here)
How many times have you thought about growing your own vegetables, without chemicals or preservatives, just clean, organic food that you, your children and your entire family can eat safely?
How many times have you thought about buying some land so you could plant a decent sized garden?
How many times did you wish you could just pick your home-grown vegetables and not worry about the price of buying organic food?
If for all of these questions the answer is “often” then read on and find out how all you wishes can come true.
So, let’s start at beginning. The first shift in garden which made things much easier was hydroponics, which involved growing your plants in special pots with water.
However, the hydroponic system involves the use of chemicals and fertilizers, thus hydroponically produced plants are not quite organic.
Enter AQUAPONICS! With AquaPonics, the use of fertilizers and chemical substances is just not necessary.
Aquaponics or aquaponic farming involves growing fish and plants in a natural and useful inter-dependent system. Simply put, you grow fish in a normal fish tank and after a certain period you “plant” the seeds.
Then you just take care of the fish and the plants will grow and develop naturally without any further help from you.
The Aquaponics Principles
A little eco-system in itself, Aquaponics fish provide food and fertilizer for the plants, while the plants clean and recyle the water for the fish, creating great conditions for them to develop and grow.
If you take good care of your fish and make sure that their water is always oxygenated properly, then your plants will not need any other type of care.
So, as long as your fish are happy and healthy, so too will be your plants.
You can use goldfish or some of the more exotic varieties for an attractive display as well as it’s function.
You could even go one step further and grow a type of fish and even lobsters that are edible, thus increasing the productivity of your little eco-system garden.
An Aquaponics system can be very simple and functional – or it can be decorative and beautiful, as well as providing health food!
There are plenty of advantages an Aquaponics system can offer you.
- First of all independence from the market as you can grow all the vegetables you require (and more!) in the comfort of your own home.
- Secondly Aquaponics is a fantastic use of your space, as you only need an area inside the house or the garage where you can place the fish tank.
- You can keep your setup in your living room for a living decoration
- You can place it in your kitchen so that you can always have fresh herbs at your fingertips for cooking and making teas etc.
- An Aquaponics system needs very little care, no more than a few minutes a day.
- Then there is the comfort issue, as you no longer have to dig in the ground and plant the seeds outside, bend over and over again to clear the land from weeds and harvest the crops. In fact you don’t need any land at all.
- An Aquaponics system can be remarkably free from normal garden bugs and pest.
Aquaponic is by far the easiest, safest and most convenient type of gardening that has ever existed. It is the future of gardening!
- How To Grow Vegetable Garden
- Grow A Vegetable Garden For Healthy Food
- Patio Greenhouses
- Growing Herbs Indoors
- How To Grow Herbs In Pots
- Best Garden Books