How to Overcome Stress: Stress is inevitable in life. Stress is the body’s response to situations that requires an immediate reaction. It’s the fight or flight response where the body undergoes mental, emotional and physical changes in stressful conditions.
Stress can be stimulated from many things from having to meet deadlines, getting stuck in a traffic jam or getting into a fight with your partner. All these can make your body react in either fight or flight response.
However, being under stress for too long can make your body more vulnerable to life-threatening health problems.
It is common to have sudden burst of energy and high levels of endurance during times of stress. There would be increase in heart rate, muscle tension and fast breathing, rush of the blood to the brain and muscles, and release of stress hormones. Digestion and other unnecessary activities are stopped because energy is needed for stressful situations.
Risks Of Stress On Health:
So it is common that stress can cause fatigue, headache and digestion problems. Due to fatigue, the immune system in our bodies will be low, so our bodies’ ability to resist opportunistic infections will be hampered.
Stress can also cause insomnia which leads to fatigue. Moreover, the release of stress hormones can impair our cognition and increase the unnecessary negative thoughts which will lead to more stress.
Being frequently exposed to stress may increase the risk of a stroke. It can also aggravate asthma symptoms and increased the risk of heart attack. Stress is also known to temporary raise blood pressure levels and blood sugar level. In bedroom matters, stress may also cause loss of sex drive or the ability to orgasm which can interfere with your sex life.
Besides that, stress can contribute to bad habits such as smoking, alcoholism and drug abuse which is use as a temporary mean to escape from stress. All of these can cause problems associated with wealth, health and may also contributed to early death.
It is important to learn how you can manage stress because it is not possible to totally avoid stress, and be stress-free for your whole life. So, it is important to be able to identify stress and how to relieve stress the best.
Easy Ways to Overcome Stress:
- Think positive: Being optimistic helps in stressful situations. Do not let stress affect our mind and keep focusing on the positive side of things. What we think may result in decisions that can lead to better or worst situations. Thinking positively helps in making good decisions.
- Change your response to stress: Being able to manage stress means developing positive strategies to deal with stress. Think of stress as a reaction rather than an event. It makes it easier to identify healthier ways to manage stress.
- Time management: Time is such that once you lost it, you can never get it back. Managing your time to have a fulfilling life and meeting deadlines on time will help to keep life on track.
- Task delegation: As a human being, we cannot survive being on our own. So do not try to handle all the tasks by yourself. Try to divide up all the tasks and if possible get your colleagues or friends to help out. It helps to strengthen the bonds between you and them as well.
- Meditation: Meditation techniques have long been used to calm mind and reduce stress. Search for a suitable guided meditation technique and when you feel stress, perform this while taking a break to make you relax and get a clearer mind.
- Exercise: Exercise helps to release all kinds of emotions and is a fantastic de-stressor. Go out and have a walk, or if you are fitter – take a dip in the pool, or go jogging. Get fresh air into your lungs and blood pumping through your veins!
- Yoga: Yoga definitely helps relieve stress. Find a Yoga class near you and sign up. You will not only learn a great way of relieving your stress, but you will become fitter, healthier and probably make new friends to boot.
- Prioritize: Our behavior towards ourselves and others may also contribute towards stress. Sometimes it is important to say no towards requests that you find it hard to meet. Keep in mind that by saying ‘yes’ to everything may please everyone but you may add on more stress and cause disappointment if the target is not meet.
- Keep your cool: Remember that stress is normal. However, it is important to keep your cool. Focus on the situation to gain control and don’t give up. Try your best to remedy the situation. An easy way to remain cool and distributing your load it to use four As of managing stress: avoid, alter, adapt, or accept.
- Social networks: Having a strong support from family, friends, peers or colleagues is important to help you through the stress. This is something that you can cultivate when you are not under stress and helps you to feel that there is someone who will be there if you need them. Try getting together for dinner, calling your parents or long lost buddies, chatting with colleagues or having coffee to help overcome stress while helping to build a bond with people around you.